Polyphasic Sleeping in Ann Arbor

Hi, I'm Jeremy, a father of 3 and a computer programmer from Ann Arbor Michigan. I switched to a polyphasic sleeping schedule to try to deal with my obstructive sleep apnea more effectively. I started this blog to track my progress.

Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 53 - Close but no cigar

So my current plan of sleeping with my CPAP/BIPAP machine and using a mouth guard along with my chin strap to prevent breathing through my mouth has its ups and downs (as with pretty much everything else I've tried so far).

It seems that 1-3 times a day I somehow manage to open my mouth regardless of all the precautions and it really throws a wrench in my schedule. Which means I STILL haven't managed to have a "perfect day" yet. To try to address the problem I've tried a few things ranging from even more draconian measures for keeping my mouth shut (tape doesn't work as well as you'd expect) to trying to "correct" a bad CPAP nap by taking a nap without it.

Nothing really works.

So once again I get CLOSER to the prize but it remains just out of reach.

The good news is my "bad time" of the day has reduced from the original 4am through 9am to a mere 4am through 7am. That's almost livable if I could sleep through that block. Of course I can't sleep longer than 1 hour (intentionally) without severe complications so that's still out of the question. I can sleep longer unintentionally but it sucks the big one.

Damn you sleep apnea, damn you to hell.

As always, I soldier on because it's still slightly better than the alternative (especially now that I know how badly I sleep when I sleep for more than an hour).

Anyone have any ideas how to keep my mouth closed? (Besides staples and/or crazy glue) I'm running out of ideas again :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home