Polyphasic Sleeping in Ann Arbor

Hi, I'm Jeremy, a father of 3 and a computer programmer from Ann Arbor Michigan. I switched to a polyphasic sleeping schedule to try to deal with my obstructive sleep apnea more effectively. I started this blog to track my progress.

Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Day 44 - Difficulties continue

I think I might need to get another sleep study using my BIPAP machine. From looking at the video it's hard to tell for sure, but it seems like I'm getting pretty awful sleep using the thing: No more than 2-5 minutes of REM at a time, REM at very random times, and occasional very violent spasms (one or two per nap).

In addition, it appears even using the machine if I accidentally roll onto my back I have apnea episodes. Even with all of that though, whatever kind of sleep I get using the machine it seems to fill some need I have. It's hard to explain how frustrating it is to need (on some level) to sleep with a machine that leaves you feeling worse when you wake up than if you hadn't used it at all. Actually, I usually feel worse than if I hadn't slept at all.

So, night-time continues to be very inconsistent. Some days I'm awake and alert, most days I'm tired and feel like I need extra naps. Most of those extra naps still end up going badly (apnea, over-sleeps, whatever).

I think at the moment I've almost got the worst of both worlds in terms of time. I'm sleeping 4-7 hours a day (and the days I sleep 4 hours I feel worse many times) so not much extra time, AND my day is constantly interrupted by naps.

So, if it weren't for the fact that during the DAY I feel better than I've felt in years I'd be tempted to quit. Luckily (or unfortunately?) for me, that's all the motivation I seem to need to keep up with this thing.

I'm going to continue this "use the CPAP for extra naps" thing until I can get another sleep study to figure out exactly what the heck is wrong with this infernal machine. If they tell me it's fine again there's either something wrong with their equipment or something really wrong with me :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home